Learn how to split PST Files in Outlook 2019/2016/2013/2010. Know the disadvantages of a large PST file and the manual fixes available.
Outlook uses PST file format to save user data. There is a limited size available for the PST file, and if it exceeds several issues arises.
Outlook uses ANSI PST with a size limit of 2GB( till Outlook 2002 and earlier versions) and Unicode PST with a 20 GB size limit(for Outlook 2003 and later).
Files work very well within available space, but an oversized PST may result in data loss, low performance, storage denial, and inaccessible data.
Manual Techniques to Split Oversized PST
MS Outlook offers no inbuilt solution for managing large PST files. Here are a few indirect manual techniques you can try.
Using the Import/Export Wizard
Import/Export wizard can be used to split PST Files in MS Outlook. Here are the steps.
- Open MS Outlook.
- Go-to File >> Account Settings >> Account Settings.
- Now in the new tab, go to Data Files >> Add.
- A “Create or Open Outlook Data File” window opens. Choose the File name and location of the Oversized PST File.
- Press OK and exit the account settings window.
- The Import/Export window opens. Click on Export >> Next.
- In the Export File window, select Outlook Data File(.pst) and press the Next button.
- Select the folders to export and check the Include Subfolders option if you wish to export subfolders.
- Click on Browse to select the saving location and pick the option for duplicate items. Choose Finish.
- A window for “Create password for PST” window opens up, enter the password; otherwise, click on Cancel.
Using the Move to Folder Feature
Here is an alternative way to split PST files using the Move to Folder option. Copy these steps.
- Open Outlook >> File Tab >> Account Settings >> Account Settings… .
- Select Data Files and click on the Add button to add a new PST file.
- Go back to Home to the default oversize PST and choose items to move to the newly created PST. Click on Move button from the ribbon and choose Copy to Folder.
- In the copy items, pop-up select the PST file.
- Now delete the copied items from the default PST to reduce its size.
Using Archive wizard
Managing a large size PST can also be done using the Archive Wizard. Use these steps.
- Start Outlook. Go-to File >> Info >> Tools >> Clean Up Old Items.
- Choose the folder to archive, the Date to archive, and select Browse to save the Archive File to the preferred location.
- These were the manual methods available to split the oversized .pst file. Although they are free to use, they have certain limitations.
Drawbacks of Manual Techniques
- High chance of data loss.
- There is no guarantee of data integrity or security.
- Time taking process.
- It requires some level of technical expertise.
- To avoid these pitfalls and perform a secure, risk-free .pst file split, we use a third party Outlook PST splitter.
How to Split PST File automatically using a Third-Party tool?
Here are the steps to split pst file in Outlook 2016/2013/2010 and 2007 expeditiously.
- Download the PST splitter software and select the PST file and click on Next.
- Select the Items to split into multiple files and choose the splitting option(By File Size, By File Date, By Sender Email) and click on Next.
- Click on the Split PST file button. Wait till the process is complete.
- Click on OK and Close the application.
Benefits of using Split PST Software
- Simple and easy to use interface.
- Split any size PST file into smaller size files.
- It supports ANSI and UNICODE format.
- Compatible with all Outlook and Windows versions.
- Encrypt the newly created file.
In this article, we discuss how to split an oversized PST file in Outlook. We consider the manual techniques possible, their drawbacks and finally using the Split PST Software.
Anyone can use third-party software with speed and comfort.
Plus, use it’s other features too, which the manual solutions don’t offer.