Written By Akash
Updated on July 19th, 2022
Summary:- VirtualBox is a free hypervisor and dominant virtualization software that allows users to run virtual devices on their computers and is maintained by Oracle. You can easily host it on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and other Operating systems. However, in response to a Windows Update, users started experiencing problems running Virtual Machines. Therefore, some users send such queries that VirtualBox not starting on their Windows 10 PCs after the update. If you are also facing the same issue, stay connected. In this post, we will provide the best manual solutions to Virtualbox VM not starting. Also, we have mentioned a powerful tool named Aryson VDI Recovery Tool to ease the process.
VirtualBox doesn’t open issues also due to an incompatibility issue or configuration irregularities, so you will need to reinstall VirtualBox. In this blog, we understand the different reasons and their relatable best solution to fix VirtualBox not starting issues with ease. You can also run the VDI Recovery Software in administrator mode by following our step-by-step guide to solving all kinds of corruption from a VDI file.
There are different reasons behind the VirtualBox not opening, and it all means that you cannot make any virtual machine and get it to run. This issue occurs after Microsoft started releasing updates of the Windows version like 10, 8.1, 8, etc. Some of the common reasons why this issue occurs are:
These are the different causes. Now, we will go through the best solutions one by one starting with the easiest to troubleshoot Virtualbox VM not starting issue.
Since there have been numerous reports about VirtualBox not starting after Windows 10 update and not only Windows, it also occurs in Mac and Linux. This tutorial will describe all the possible solutions to fix all the issues mentioned.
Apart from performing the various procedures to initiate the process, you will have to update your VirtualBox to the latest version available on their official website. There have been several cases where the older version has compatibility issues with the latest version of Windows and which causes the application not to start or causes VirtualBox not to start error in its operating system.
C:\Users\[username]\VirtualBox VMs\[vm group]\[vm name]
MS Hyper-V is formerly known as Windows Server Virtualization, and previously it created virtual machines on systems running Windows 8 or higher. This module allows third-party applications to create virtual machines on your computer. Moreover, if this method gets stuck, you might experience issues. Thus, we have to make sure that it is enabled.
Steps to Launch the VirtualBox Again
Drive enforcement is a safe and reliable mechanism in the Windows versions that main works are to stop suspicious or badly written drivers from being installed on your operating system. The VirtualBox installs its drivers for virtual machines in a virtual environment and can conflict with the settings. There is a possibility that after turning off the driver enforcement, the VirtualBox not starting gets fixed.
1. Click the Windows + S button and enter the Command prompt in the pop-up box.
2. Right-click on the application and choose Run as Administrator from the menu.
3. In the command prompt, execute the following command:
bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on
4. It will disable the integrity checks and let you install any driver. You can also check the integrity by entering the below command again:
bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks off
Finally, restart your computer after disabling the enforcement and check that issues get resolved.
Sometimes, VirtualBox fails to install network adapters properly on your computer. And due to this, the application might show you an error Unable to load VirtualBox. Thus, install the VirtualBox network drivers and set the configuration. You can also check this blog to fix the Unrecognized Database Format Error.
Steps to Install VirtualBox Adapters Manually
1. First of all, remove all the previous VirtualBox adapters.
2. After that, click Windows + R, enter devmgmt.msc in the dialogue box, and click Enter.
3. Once in the device manager, click the Action tab and opt for the Add legacy hardware.
4. Then you have to install the Oracle VirtualBox adapters manually.
5. The location where they are generally located is following:
6. After the installation of the drivers correctly, we can move forward and configure them properly.
7. Open Oracle VirtualBox, click File >> Preferences >> Network >> Host-only Network.
8. Now, click on the Edit option.
9. Here, enter the below information correctly in the respective fields:
10. Click OK to save changes and restart your computer.
11. Now verify if you can open VirtualBox.
It is a tool technique that allows virtual machines to have a software interface. This feature causes a lot of problems in VirtualBox. So, we can try changing its option to KVM and see if the issue gets fixed or not:
1. Start VirtualBox, click on Settings >> System >> Acceleration >> Paravirtualization Interface.
2. Here, opt for the KVM from the drop-down of default.
3. After that, restart your system and launch the Virtual box.
Additionally, you can also use these options to fix VirtualBox not starting:
There are chances that the VirtualBox doesn’t open, and the issue might be affected by the virtual machine file corruption. This issue gets fixed by repairing the damaged VDI file (file extension created by VirtualBox). Well, No need to worry Aryson VDI Recovery Tool is the best VDI file recovery tool that allows users to remove the maximum possible data from corrupt VDI files. The software offers three different modes to perform recovery like Standard, Advanced and Deep. Moreover, you can preview your recovered data in the preview panel before saving them.
In this blog, we understood the necessity and the possible solutions to troubleshoot VirtualBox Not Starting problems. Along with that, we also know the different reasons behind could not open the medium Virtualbox. You can also go through with the VDI Recovery Tool to fix the corruption or damage to the VDI file.
About The Author:
© Copyrights 2014-2023 is an affiliate partner of Aryson Technologies. - All Rights Reserved