Does your Outlook keeps asking for password again and again even after you’ve successfully logged in? The inconvenience may occur due to any recent Windows update or misconfigured Outlook settings.
This error is common in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, and previous versions.
Windows updates are to improve your system’s performance, offer stability; however, sometimes, a new update may cause a conflict with existing programs.
Why does Outlook keep requesting for password:
Password prompt issue can occur due to the following reasons:
Windows Update: Sometimes, new updates may reset previously set preferences for a few programs causing Outlook to act sporadically.
Outlook Settings: In some cases, Outlook issues like incorrect password kept by Credential Manager, Corrupt Outlook PST file may cause this error.
Other causes may be Bad network connection and Antivirus program.
How do I get Outlook to stop asking for my password?
Get rid of the logon credentials prompt:
To disable this setting:
- In Outlook, Click on File >> Account Settings >> Account Settings.
- Choose the Exchange Account and Select the Change button.
- Now select More Settings in the dialogue box.
- After that, in the Security tab of MS Exchange uncheck: “Always prompt for logon credentials” to finish.
Clear cache passwords from Credential Manager:
- Open Control Panel and go to Credential Manager.
- Find the Credential set with Outlook in the name.
- Expand it and select Remove from Vault.
- Re-do the steps for other Outlook credentials too.
Creating a new Profile:
- Close the Outlook application.
- Go to Start >> Control Panel.
- Now click on Mail.
- Click on Show Profiles button and choose Add.
- Provide the name of the new profile and click OK.
- After this, enter your name and Email.
- Select Next and click on Finish.
- In the end, select the new profile as “Always use this profile” and choose “OK.”
Start Outlook in Safe Mode and Disable Add-Ins:
To do so, hold down the CRTL key while clicking on the Outlook shortcut.
To disallow add-ins, open Outlook go to File >> Options >> Add-ins.
After this, go to manage installed add-ins in another dialogue box. Choose the add-in you want to remove and click Remove to disable it.
Antivirus present on your system may be conflicting with Outlook, which is causing Outlook Password Prompt issue.
Try disabling your Antivirus and check if it solves your problem.
Bad network connection:
A slow or unstable network may result in loss of connection to the server.
It makes Outlook ask for a password again and again.
Switching to a better network to fix the issue.
Update Outlook to the latest version:
Sometimes an outdated version of Outlook may cause this issue.
For updating Outlook to the latest version:
- Open Outlook >> File.
- Select Office Account and Click on the Update button.
- Choose Update Now to check for new Outlook updates.
Note: If Updates are disabled, choose Enable Updates.
Outlook Password reset using recovery tool:
In case you forget your password or the Outlook keeps asking for the password, use the Outlook Password Recovery Tool to remove the password from Outlook 2016 and other versions.
You can use this tool to recover PST safely and unlock encrypted PST file.User can unlock both ANSI and Unicode PST files of all Outlook versions.
Anyone can use it with ease with it’s easy to use GUI interface.
Summing Up Outlook Password prompt issue:
After reading this article and applying the fixes Outlook would stop asking for the password.
If you forgot your password or want to unlock encrypted PST, you can go for the Outlook Password Recovery software.User having less or almost no prior technical expertise can also use this software with ease.