For any Exchange server admin, it is a daily routine to export op import data of Exchange Server. But it is not that simple to import ad export the data to PST. The process causes severe loss to the data and hence to the company. So here we will discuss how to export exchange mailbox to PST.
Exchange Server is Microsoft’s platform that is used to store emails, mailbox components and also maintain a record of all the details. This mailbox executes only on Windows server operating system. Exchange Server plays an important role in maintaining the Official appointments, Security and confidentiality of emails, Portability, and Mobility. It also manages the email addresses with its Address book feature. And the PST i.e, Personal Storage Table Files are Microsoft Outlook Data files used to store users’ Outlook data. So let’s start with understanding the need to convert exchange mailbox to PST.
Why convert Exchange Mailbox to PST:
Here are some major reasons that make users move Exchange mailbox to PST or to convert EDB to PST:
- The main reason to Export Exchange mailboxes to PST is to create a backup so that we can prevent the data loss issues.
- The users also move Exchange Mailbox to PST for Compliance purposes. Due to legal discovery purposes, the user needs to export mailboxes to PST then import PST to a mailbox.
- Sometimes in a case where an employee leaves the organization and administrator needs to preserve the archive mailboxes but not in Exchange Mailbox. Then they need to export the exchange mailbox.
Here we discussed the reason due to which we need to move exchange mailbox to PST. And in the next section, we will discuss the methods to export Exchange Mailbox to PST.
Also know: How to convert exchange EDB to PST?
Methods to convert the Exchange Mailbox to PST:
Generally, there are two methods to export Exchange Mailboxes to PST
- Manual Method
- Automated Method
Export Exchange Mailbox (EDB) to Outlook PST with manual Method:
Go through the below-listed steps sincerely to convert the exchange mailbox to PST :
Step 1: In the Outlook 2013/2016, view the File menu and press on Open and Export>>Import/Export option.
Step 2: Then select the second option of “Export to a file” and hit on “Next”.
Step3: Now, choose the Outlook Data File (.pst) and tap on next.
Step 4: Choose the Folder needs to export in new Outlook PST.
Step5: Filter with the available option, allow to access More Choice and Advanced, according to the requirement and hit on OK.
Step 6: Navigate to the location for the required destination PST file and select the below option as per your need and hit on Finish.
Step 7: After you hit the next the Export process will start.
Here we discussed the manual method to convert EDB to PST. This method is free but also has some consequences. So, in the next section, we will see the consequences of manual methods.
Consequences/Limitations of Manual Techniques:
- The manual method to export the exchange mailbox is a lengthy and time-consuming procedure.
- It needs technical expertise to complete the complicated technical steps.
- The manual method does not assure you for an appropriate exportation i.e, there is a possibility of data loss.
- You can not select multiple folders to export at a time.
So to avoid these consequences and for appropriate exportation, it is always suggested by professionals to use an automated solution. Now in the next section Let’s see the automated solution to convert Exchange Mailbox to PST.
Automated Method to move the Exchange Mailbox to PST:
The automated method involves the use of commercial or third party utilities as an Email Migration Tool for secure and hassle-free solutions. This Email Migration tool is a standalone tool that enables its users to move the emails from more than 15 email clients to more than 10 email clients along with the file format with high accuracy. This tool allows its users to move the exchange mailbox to PST easily and safely. Let’s see some of its top-notch features:
- Exports Emails of OST, PST, MBOX, EML, EMLX, OLM, and MSG to various file formats and other email clients.
- Move the entire Emails of Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, IMAP, and Office 365 along with all the attachments to different file formats and webmail clients.
- Users’ can save emails including the attachments of 14 different file formats and webmail clients such as PDF into PC and Hard drives.
- Export multiple Files and emails at a time without loss of data.
- Handle the hierarchy of the folders available in the different file formats during migration.
- Allows its user to export Emails to Office 365 along with the attachments.
Here in this write-up, we focused on how to export Exchange mailbox to PST. Both manuals, as well as an automated method, as well as an automated method, is elaborated. You use any of the methods to move the Exchange mailbox to PST as per your need. Hopefully, this blog will guide you properly.