In this blog, I am going to discuss the information related to Outlook files. Basically, Outlook generates two types of files which are OST & PST. So we will gather some data related to this as well as finally jump into the basic difference between Outlook OST and PST files in Outlook.
Microsoft Outlook is the popular client which generates two files. One for the exchange server to save the work done by the user. Another file is saved as the user’s work in the client’s hard disk for the usage of future reference as well.
OST and PST files in Outlook
Talking about one of the famous and popular email client today which is MS Outlook. This email management software is a powerful tool in the Microsoft office suite. The email client comes with the regular update along with new add-on features which make the package more substantial.
In order to see the complex structure of MS Outlook. It has two files which work accordingly in the same way to another.
What is the .ost file?
- OST file is the acronym for Offline storage table.
- It is located in the exchange server.
- With the help of OST file outlook can even save work in Offline mode.
- In addition to it syncs accordingly when the connection is established.
- The OST is used only in the Exchange server environment.
- Moreover, with the help of OST files, users can even reply to the sender message in the offline mode as well.
What is the .pst file?
- PST file is the acronym for Personal storage table.
- As the name suggests, it is located on the client’s hard disk, not in the exchange server.
- Protocols like Http along with Imap uses PST files for the access.
- Apart from that the.PST file is stored in the server as well with whom the client is syncing but never on the exchange server. As there is already.OST file stored.
- Emails which tend to send and then received is also stored in the PST format.
- Not only but also the calendars entries, attachments, tasks regarding to-do-lists and contacts are too stored in the .pst format.
You may also read: Export Gmail to Outlook
What is the difference between outlook OST and PST files?
Although the MS Outlook software deals mainly with the management of emails. But apart from that, it has the embedded features which work amazingly well with the management of calendars tasks, to-do lists, contacts and many others.
Rather exaggerating the topic, diving right to the moot point which says the difference between the two files is as follows:
- As OST is Offline storage folder which helps the user to work even in offline mode. On the other hand, PST is the folder which is a personal storage table which works online.
- OST files are bounded with the Exchange server only. But PST files can be used or can not be used with the Exchange server. With this feature of PST, it can be used or synced with other mail servers as well.
- OST folder can also be used when the user is online irrespective of the mode OST works efficiently. PST, on the other hand, saves local data.
- With the high efficiency, OST files provide the ability to work online like composing mail, sending and receiving mail in offline mode. Else PSt doesn’t work this way.
You may also read: Repair Outlook pst file in Outlook
I hope this information must be beneficial in the respective terms along with this you are able to get a difference between Outlook OST and PST files in outlook.