Are you looking for a way to preserve your Gmail data?
Here are the top ways to Backup Gmail.
Gmail has become the defacto Email Service for individuals and businesses and is the number one Email service trusted by billions of daily users for their Email needs.
Need for a Gmail Backup.
Gmail is a trustworthy service that won’t randomly delete your data. According to a survey, 58% of businesses have suffered from data loss. There are numerous causes like accidental deletion, Email account hacks, in rare cases no access to the primary device.
Contrary to the popular conspiracy theory Gmail doesn’t backup itself or store your deleted Emails. Therefore you are responsible for the security of your Emails.
How to backup Gmail Emails
Method 1: Using Google Takeout
Google offers a built-in tool to create a backup. Google Takeout can be used to create a one time backup zip of your entire Gmail Account in an MBOX format.
Follow these steps:
- Go to https://www.takeout.google.com/settings/takeout in your browser’s address field. If you’re signed in, the Takeout screen appears otherwise sign-in into your google account.
- You’ll see various Google services you can backup, scroll down to Gmail.
- Slide the Gmail Slider to the right and define what to backup from Include all your mail or Select labels.
- Click on the Next button, and the Custom archive format screen appears. Select the desired File Type, Archive Size, and the Delivery method.
- In the end, click on the Create Archive button. After a while, you’ll see a notice that your archive is processing. When your archive is ready, you’ll receive a notification Email.
- Follow the instructions in the Email to Download your archive.
Using Email Clients for the Backup
Another way to automatically save your Emails is by using a desktop client like the Outlook, Thunderbird, Apple Mail, and others.
In this guide, we are using Outlook.
Step 1: Turn On your IMAP access
- In Gmail, go to Settings >> Settings >> Forwarding and POP/IMAP. Make sure that Enable IMAP is selected.
- According to Google, most desktop Email apps are less secure. To give access to Outlook, go to https://myaccount.google.com/. My Account Screen appears.
- Click on “Apps with account access,” the Sign-in & security screen appears. Scroll down to “Allow less secure apps” and turn the toggle to the right.
Step 2: Adding your Gmail to the Email Client app
We’re using Outlook here.
- Go-to File. The Account Information screen shows up, choose the Add Account button.
- Provide your Gmail credentials and press the Connect button, and this prompt appears.
- To finish connecting your Gmail account, click on OK.
- If the process is successful, you’ll get an email with the subject line: Microsoft Outlook Test Message in your Gmail and Outlook inbox.
New messages received in Gmail appear on Outlook too, but removing an Email from Gmail reflects here too.
Disadvantages of Manual Methods:
- The Google Takeout creates a complete backup zip of all your data from the point of account creation to the point of Backup creation. Therefore no backup for upcoming new mails.
- In the Email, client technique Filters and other modifications on the Gmail account won’t carry forward.
- If you have multiple Email accounts to backup, the methods aren’t feasible.
- Therefore, to overcome these issues, we use a third-party Gmail Backup Tool.
Steps for using Gmail Backup Software
- Open the Tool.
- Log-in to the account.
- Select the category to download, provide the saving format, and choose the destination to save.
- Choose the folders to save, provide the date range, and the naming convention as per your requirement.
- Wait for the process to complete and exit when done.
Advantages of using Gmail Backup Software
- Export from Gmail to other formats like PST, MSG, EML, EMLX, and more.
- Directly export Email, calendar, contacts to clients like Thunderbird, Outlook, Yahoo, and more.
- Backup Gmail email along with attachments.
- Google Contacts Backup.
- Easy to use GUI.
- Compatibility with Windows and Mac.
In this article, we’ve elaborated Why there is a need for Backup, How to backup Gmail using Takeout and Email Client, and a third party solution using a Gmail Backup Software.
You may now go for any method according to your needs. Third-party software offers some more features over prior methods. Backup is crucial for your business as Gmail stores all our data.